Friday

In less than 24 hours...

In less than 24 hours I had found the dog.
           
He was listed as "Spud" an adult, purebred American Pit Bull Terrier, and lordy was he cute! I raced to the shelter frightened that someone else would get my dog. I met him, fell instantly in love, and despite him weighing in at approximately 50 lbs…realized there was no way he was an adult.

There were other clues that, perhaps, should have indicated I was in over my head.
  • Spud was brought to the Seattle animal shelter after they received a report that he was being abused. He had recently been listed for adoption after insufficient evidence had been found to charge his previous owners with neglect and possible abuse.
  • Spud’s original name was Kilo. Could have been someone being funny OR could have been someone involved in illegal activity.
  • Spud was on antibiotics for a skin infection, the skin in between his toes was so swollen he walked flat-footed, and he was recovering from a right distal radial fracture.

I was questioned about prior experience with the American Pit Bull Terrier, why I wanted a dog of this breed, and my dedication to being a dog owner (in general and to this breed). I was asked under what conditions did I see myself surrendering as his owner. I was informed that the next step was to go home and do some research and was provided with some web sites, such as badrap.org. I proudly informed the officer that I had been to all of these sites but still had to wait until I could bring Jensen in to meet Spud.

The minute Spud’s kennel was opened he leaned against Jensen’s legs and looked up over his shoulder at him. Ah, he got him!

No comments:

Post a Comment